Saturday, March 20, 2010

"I'm a starving artist so how can I be in the 50 percent tax bracket?"

I got a residual check for my work as an actress and it is the absolute smallest check a person could get: 1 cent! My gross pay was 2 cents; my net pay was 1 cent. My tax withholding was 1 cent which puts me in the 50 percent tax bracket. So, I guess you could say, my net is gross.

Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this picture?


I do understand, that if a company, according to my Union Contract, has to pay me the 2 cents it owes me that they 'have' to pay me; but that's just stupid too.

Some things in life just don't add up.

Like:

I used to think “Two and a Half Men” was a TV sitcom but it turns out it's actually a reality show and the star is not 'acting;' rather he's just being 'real.' Yes, Charlie Sheen has gone to rehab and he's hired a 'sober coach' to shadow him and prevent him from falling off the wagon.

At least if Charlie Sheen is in the 50 percent tax bracket that part makes sense. But now that we have 'reality shows' that are fake and TV shows that are real I'm not sure I'll be able to make sense of TV ever again. Give me some good old “Bewitched” where we knew it was all just made up for our entertainment. Ya know, real TV where real actors were REALLY acting, where gay men played nice middle class husbands with female wives.

And:

Antiquated laws that have not been repealed like: In Fairbanks, Alaska, it's illegal to give a moose alcohol and it's also illegal for moose to have sex on city streets… So if the police caught some moose in the act would they really write them a ticket? That would be another waste of taxpayer's money, like the one cent withholding on my 2 cents residual check.

Or, I could look on the bright side and say, “Golly gee, I must be on the road to great prosperity because I am in a much higher tax bracket now.”

Of course, this is just MY two cents. Which, unfortunately, I’ve shared with Uncle Sam.

You will also find this post at ZOIKS! ONLINE

No comments:

Post a Comment